The homeless situation is not getting better but many of you reading this helped more than words can express. Here is a bit of a snapshot of last year:
July 2012 was the hottest month on record in the history of the United States and in Downtown Los Angeles. When the temperature climbs above 85 degrees downtown the folks at URM pass out cold water bottles to those on the street. These bottles cost money. Feel free to help the folks at URM with a donation.
July is also the first month in the fiscal year for the folks at Union Rescue Mission so I will keep some of the figures from the last month of last fiscal year in this piece as information.
The number of families on the street increased.
- 123 people were seen by the mental health clinic at URM (124)
- 436 people were seen by the doctors on site at URM from UCLA (508)
- 570 people were seen by the dentists on site at URM from USC (605)
- 55 people were seen by the legal staff at URM for legal assistance (43)
- 4,293 hours were spent by volunteers (4137) Volunteer hours were down as were donations
- 20,931 nights of shelter were provided by individual (24,095)
- 2,501 night of shelter were provided to families (2,700)
- 70,185 meals were served. In one month. In June. (73,580)
In the past I have posted Andy Bales status updates in another post which has gotten quite large. I also have commented on Andy Bales as an individual. In the future, Andy's latest video update will be seen in a new post such as this post with figures of interest in the post.
For those who want a bit of insight on Andy Bales from some of my past writing see the two links below:
Here is the latest for August status update video from Andy Bales, CEO of Union Rescue Mission.