I thought I'd take a few minutes to recap some of what Andy Bales was doing yesterday late evening on 10/9 and early the morning of 10/10.
I thought I knew how bad Skid Row was. It took a sleepless night on the sidewalk to experience the terrifying reality.
- Relieved, my 1 night of homelessness has ended & I am safely home. Sad that isn't the case for 75K Angelenos & Millions in US including kids
- 3 AM I am finally worn out & maybe ready to sleep for a bit. Still worried about rats the size of cats here on Skid Row in LA.
- Just gave my large diet coke to a kind friendly thirsty man named Edwar - Marking @endhomelessness World Homeless Day 10/10/10 by spending night on LA's Skid Row & sharing experience & HTTP://youarethemission.org
- Children should never experience homelessness. It harms them physically, psychologically, educationally, shakes up trust in relationships.
- Honored 2 be waiting outside URM at 2 AM as mom w/ 3 little girls, ages 4,2, & infant arrived in cab, probably escaping abuse. Welcomed them.
I posted this a few days ago but today on 10/12/10 Andy Bales wrote this up on his own blog which can be read at - http://www.urmblog.org/2010/10/12/my-2nd-annual-night-out-on-skid-row/
10/10/10 has been a date that some have designated as a date for homeless awareness and service. I don't know if this will have much impact.